Friday, June 19, 2009

Why does society worship celebrities?????

I just dont get it!!! If someone can explain it to me I would really appreciate it! Why do we as a society worship and adore the rich and famous? They are in the tabloids, all over the television, on the news, and a topic that we just cant seem to get enough of!......... BUT WHY? Are we ( the average Joes) that boring and uninteresting that we have to look else where into other people personal lives to find a thrill? I know a great number of people who have accomplished far more success in their lives then just being physically beautiful. That being said my next question is...... why is physical beauty considered an accomplishment? Just because an (average Joe) doesnt look like Angelina Jolie or Brad Pitt why is it that his or her accomplishments are not appealing to us as a society?
I would much rather hear or read about a firefighter who saved the life of a little boy today or a teacher who made a little girl learn the joys of reading! Are we that shallow that because that firefighter doesnt have " abs of steel" or that teacher doesnt have a"bootielicious" back side that we dont want to hear their story? I for one am sick and tired of hearing about whether or not Brangelina will stay together or Jennifer Aniston is secretly meeting Brad down the street. WHO CARES? Its so trivial and really quite honestly none of our business.
I love to watch a good thrilling movie just as much as the next person. I have my favorite TV shows like "House" and "True Blood" that I ritually view at the same time every week no matter what is going on in my life. But to gush and swoon and drool and obsess over the actors and actresses that perform these rolls is just ludicrous!
Some do their jobs well...... and some do NOT..... but for society as a whole or anyone individually to worship any of these celebrities just simply does not make an ounce of sence to me.
I welcome anyone who has any insite of what the appeal is and would love to hear any opposing views.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree!!!
    Hey, what about Jon and Kate plus 8?
    I watched there show all the time but they've really changed...What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes I've seen them all over the news and magazines ... I do not get the hype .. and what about those poor children ...

    ReplyDelete

If you have a question you want to ask me privately please feel free to email me at 1goodadviceguru@gmail.com