Wednesday, May 25, 2011

ADVICE FOR AMY

AMYS QUESTION:

I am in my 3rd years of college. My boyfriend and I have been dating for 6 months now. We have a great time together and we get along really well. Lately though, he has been getting really mad at me when I want to hang out with my friends. He says I spend to much time with them and he feel excluded. We go out at least 2 times a week and we see each other everyday because we go to the same school. I like him a lot and really don't want to lose him. What should I do?

RESPONSE TO AMY:

College is one of the most exciting times of your life. After college the "real world" takes charge and the fun times are put on a back burner for a while. As a junior I imagine you are buried in books and up to your ears in work. Blowing off some steam and letting loose with your gal pals should be a welcoming release from the perpetual pressures of turn papers and rigorous research. The close mates you make in college tend to stick around even after you graduate and soon become life-long chums. If your boyfriend is irritated by them after only 6 months you can count on his irritation growing even more as time moves on. Having a great guy who you get along well with certainly ads a little skip to your giddy-up and boosts the self confidence. But, if he's always on your case about the fun times you want to share with your friends he may not be the "great guy" you think he is.


You should bring the matter to his attention and let him know his issues with your "time management" are in fact just that ..his issues. You spend your days working hard trying to earn your education. You have given him at the very least 2 nights during the week and make it a point to see him daily. At this point there really isn't any more you can offer up. He may just surprise you, apologize for his immature insecurities and beg you to forget he said anything at all. However, if he continues to critisize you and this arrangement isn't working for him then perhaps you two crazy kids just aren't the perfectly paired couple you thought you were. Trust me sweety this guy isn't the chosen massiah of men. There are plenty of "tools" in the shed and the sharpest ones don't sweat the nuts and bolts. Good Luck Amy.

1 comment:

  1. Im going thru something similar to this but my boyfriend an I have been dating for a few years. i dont alwys get a chance to spend as much time as Id like with him because of school and other things. But I shouldnt feel bad for putting myself first right?

    ReplyDelete

If you have a question you want to ask me privately please feel free to email me at 1goodadviceguru@gmail.com